Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Find God in the moments of the day


When you woke up this morning what was the first thought on your mind?  Was it a dream that you had?  Was it the dread of all the things you needed to accomplish today?  Was it a bill that knew you had to pay?  For me the thought was simple.  Find God in the moments of the day!  I couldn’t quite understand why the message was so clear in my head and why it was all that I could think of from the moment that I opened my eyes but after considering where it came from I jumped out of bed and got down on my knees and started praying.  I asked God to help me to find HIM in all the moments of the day today.  And to be quite honest, I thought it was going to be an easy task!  I thought that I had it made!  Instead it was a warning to me that even though I was going to be tested and tried during the day that I would need to have patience, love, strength, and through it all the determination and will to FIND God in the moments of the day because they weren’t just going to be easy to spot!!!!

The kids did not seem to have any problems with the fact that it was only the second day of school.  And the devil took advantage of the fact that I was “seeking God in the moment of the day” at least once when my patience was tested to the max and I found my tone of voice mean and accusing and I had to step back take a deep breath and try again!  They were daring and brave!  They spoke out, yelled, picked at each other, laughed and made fun, talked out of turn, did everything they were told not too, but still I persisted!  I was determined to find God in the moments of the day. 

As the day continued on I had conversations with the kids who were troubled.  I tried to get to the roots of the problems- discovered that many were willing to talk if I was willing to listen.  I also found that sometimes a handshake, a pat on the back, an encouraging word, or a smile goes a long way to help a student get through a difficult moment.  I had conversations with teachers today who are facing major surgery in the upcoming weeks, teachers who are still thinking about losses they have faced in the aftermath of Katrina, teachers like me who are just leaning on God and their faith to make it through each and every day and I realize that God has given me the heart to listen, and the strength to pray for others and that is a gift I am glad to carry with me.  Thanks to HIM for showing me the moments in this day!  And thanks to HIM they weren’t just GIVEN to me and that I did indeed have to FIND them!

No comments:

Post a Comment