Saturday, October 11, 2014

Christianity isn't comfortable

I don't recall anyone ever telling me that Christianity was comfortable.  However, when I was approached by a homeless person, last summer, on the SMU campus, they asked me to pray with them and I got scared and I ran.  It was probably one of the worst decisions that I have ever made in my life.  Looking back, I wish that I had taken the time to pray with them.  Sometimes I remember back to that day and ask God to be with them.  It is the only justice I can do now.  I can only ask for God to provide them with an additional opportunity of having someone pray for them. 

When I think about all of the human interactions that Jesus had with people, I am amazed at how He measured each situation, not based on the complexity, but based on love.  When John the Baptist was murdered, Jesus went away to grieve alone.  The multitudes followed him, and he had compassion on them, healing their diseases and providing nourishment for their body (Matthew 14). 

Paul, of all people, knew that Christianity was uncomfortable.  " 24 From the Jews five times I received forty stripes minus one. 25 Three times I was beaten with rods; once I was stoned; three times I was shipwrecked; a night and a day I have been in the deep; 26 in journeys often, in perils of waters, in perils of robbers, in perils of my own countrymen, in perils of the Gentiles, in perils in the city, in perils in the wilderness, in perils in the sea, in perils among false brethren; 27 in weariness and toil, in sleeplessness often, in hunger and thirst, in fastings often, in cold and nakedness" (2 Corinthians 11)

So when I received a call the other day to travel to another church and meet a new Christian sister who needed help in getting acquainted at her local congregation, I turned it down.  You would have thought that I had learned my lesson by now!  Fortunately, I was able to recall the last mistake I made and so I made a quick decision to do the "uncomfortable thing" and meet her and become her friend and help her get to know others at the church.  Now, we are really good friends! 

I think that when our heart is in the right place, even when it may be uncomfortable for us, the Lord finds ways in which to show us his blessings!  What have YOU experienced in the area of "uncomfortable Christianity?"

1 comment:

  1. I must confess I probably would have ran away too. Maybe I would not now that I have read your blog though! Thanks for sharing your stories to encourage and inspire the rest of us! Lisa Smith

    ReplyDelete